10.07.2011

R.I.P. Grandma

On this day in 1996, my grandfather passed away. It was also his birthday. Yesterday, his great love, my grandmother passed on. She had a very long life but her health has been deteriorating since my grandfathers death. She has suffered from alzheimer's for years and hasn't remembered us, but last week she told my aunt she was going to my grandfather's birthday party.

My grandmother had 5 children, 10 grandchildren, and my daughter Rylie was her first great grandchild. Unfortunately they never met. I was named after her and my other grandmother who also passed on, Mary Teresa.

Grandma bought the heck out of Avon, she probably made someone a small fortune. She went to church regularly but loved her gambling. She played bingo, the lottery, and the slots in Atlantic City...and won quite often from what I remember. For whatever reason my favorite memory of her was the way she would say chinese food. She always left out the s. "Mary, would you like to order some chinee food?" So cute. She never drove a car in her life. I remember us taking walks to Friendly's for a clam boat and an ice cream sundae.

I think we have all missed the Grandma we remember for some time now. While it's sad that she is gone, she is in a better place.

Here's to you Grandma and Grandpa. Hope you are partying hard in heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment